Dimitrios A. Dimitrios A. Vrachatis (MD, MSc, PhD) graduated from the Medical School of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece; he was admitted 3rd in rank after nationwide examinations. He followed the cardiology residence program in Green National Health System, in particular in General Hospital of Athens “G. Gennimatas”. Beyond Greek board certification as a specialist in cardiology in Greeece, he successfully completed the European Exam of Cardiology held by the European Society of Cardiology Following his core training, Dr. Vrachatis pursued a clinical research fellowship in Humanitas Clinical and Research Center IRCCS (Milan, Italy) supported by a scholarship by Hellenic Society of Cardiology.
Dr. Vrachatis holds a PhD (2014) from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece. His PhD research was conducted in the 1st University Department of Cardiology, with focus in transcatheter aortic valve implantation. He also holds an MSc in Health Unit Administration from Hellenic Open University, Patras, Greece.
Dr. Vrachatis has been an author in more than 100 articles in highly cited scientific international journals. Ha has served as peer-reviewer in more than 27 international journals and has participated as Guest Editor of Special Issues. He has also served as an editorial board member in international journals, among which “European Heart Journal – Case Reports”. Dr. Vrachatis has authored a series of with Greek and International book chapters. He has also participated in the review process of international research proposals. He has participated with presentation of more than 200 abstracts in Greek and International medical congresses. He has activelly participated in the design and conduction of Randomized Controlled Trials. He actively participates with lectures in the under- and post- graduate program of students of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
Dr. Vrachatis has served as a primary health physician during “obligatory rural duty” in the General Hospital of Trikala. He has fulfilled the obligatory military service as a medical doctor in Hellenic Air Force. Dr. Vrachatis speaks fluently Greek (native), English (C2 level) and Italian (B2 level).
Dr. Vrachatis, currently serves as an Academic Fellow in the 2nd University Department of Cardiology, Attikon Hospital, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Dr. Vrachatis, runs a private cardiology clinic in Kallithea, Athens.
- Medical School Graduate, (“Ptychion Iatrikes”), National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece.
- MSc Health Unit Administration, Hellenic Open University, Patras, Greece.
- PhD, 1st Department of Cardiology, General Hospital of Athens Hippokration, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Certified Advanced Life Support Provider, European Resuscitation Council
- Specialist in Cardiology, Panhellenic Medical Association.
- European Exam in General Cardiology, European Society of Cardiology.
- Clinical Research Fellowship, Interventional Cardiology Unit, Humanitas Research Hospital, Milan, Italy.
- (Dec 2020 – today) Academic Fellow with research, clinical and teaching duties. 2nd Department of Cardiology, University General Hospital “Attikon”.
- (Nov 2020 – today) Dimitrios A. Vrachatis Cardiology Clinica, Kallithea, Athens.
- (Feb – Oct 2020) Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Milano, Italia -Clinical Research Fellow .
- (2015-2020) Cardiology Resident. General Hospital of Athens “G.Gennimatas”.
- (2012-2014) Internal Medicine Resident G.O.H.K. «Agioi Anargyroi»
- (2011-2012) Internal medicine resident “Sismanogleio” General Hospital of Athens.
- (2010-2011) General Hospital of Trikala. Primary Care Physician.
- (2008-2009) Hellenic Air Force. Airman – Medical Doctor. 3ο KEP, Ziros, Perfecture of Lasithi, Crete
- (2020) Scholarship by Hellenic Society of Cardiology for training in Humanitas Clinical and Research Hospital, Milano, Italia
- (2017) Award from Athens Medical Association as an elected representative of medical residents in their name for their service in the National Health System.
- (2013) 1st Prize for Research Abstract – 1st National Congress on Thrombosis.
- (2009) 3rd Prize for Research Abstract / Young Scientists. 30th Panhellenic Congress of Cardiology.
- (2003) Award. Commercial Bank of Greece for excellence in undergraduate studies.
- (2002) Scholarship – State Scholarship Foundation for being admitted 3rd in rank in Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- (2001) Participation in the 18th National Mathematical Contest after successful exams.
- (2000) Participation as a representative of Greek high-school students in European Pariament’s «Euroscola» program.
- Greek (Native)
- English (C2 Level)
- Italian (Β2 Level)
- (2016-2020) Institutional Scientific Board, General Hospital of Athens “G.Gennimatas” .
- (2016-2020) Board Member, Association of Hospital Doctors in Athens and Piraeus.
- (2004-2008) Member, General Assembly, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- (2004-2008) Board Member, “Gr. Lambrakis” Students’ Association Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens.
- Athens Medical Association, Greece (2008 – 2010, 2011 – today).
- Ordine dei Medici e Chirurgi, Milano, Italia (2020 – today).
- Trikala Medical Association, Greece (2010-2011).
- European Society of Cardiology (2019 – today).
- Hellenic Society of Cardiology (2019 – today).
- Balcan Medical Union (2014 – today).
- Hellenic Hypertension Association (2017 – today).
Dimitrios Vrachatis has served as Guest Editor in Current Pharmaceutical Design (3 issues) and in Journal of Clinical Medicine (1 issue) He serves as Associate Editor of the European Heaart Journal – Case Reports; Associate Editorial Board Member of the Cardiovascular and Hematological Agents in Medicinal Chemistry journal; Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Population Therapeutics and Clinical Pharmacology; and Editorial Board Member of Client Periodique (CPQ) Medicine Journal. Additionally, he has served as peer-reviewer in more than 27 international journals among which: Journal of American Heart Association, American Heart Journal, Scientific Reports, Journal of Human Hypertension, The Journal of Clinical Hypertension, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, Heart Vessels, European Heart Journal – Case Reports, British Medical Journal – Case Reports.
- “Cardiology”, Undergraduate Programme, Medical School, 2nd Department of Cardiology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Academic Year: 2020-2021.
- Post graduate Programme (MSc) “Interventional Cardiology”, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. Academic Year: 2019-2020.
- Post Graduate Programme (MSc) «Clinical Trials: Design and Conduct» Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece. Academic Years: 2017-2019
- «Biomedical Technology», Undergraduate Programme, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece. Academic Years: 2017 – today.
- “Internal Medicine”, Undergraduate Programme, School of Nursing, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Academic Years 2012-2013 & 2013-2014.
After graduation from medical school Dimitiros Vrachatis has actively participated in research projects. Results of his research are depicted (as of November 2020) in more than 100 publications in highly cited international journals; 728 citations – h-index 14 (SCOPUS); 1030 citations – h-index 17 (Google Scholar); search as: Vrachatis D or Vrachatis DA. Further, Dr. Vrachatis has authored 9 Greek and International book chapters.
- (2020) COLCORONA Trial; National Sub-Co-Ordinator. Effect of colchicine in out-patients suffering from COVID-19. NCT04322682.
- (2020) GRECCO-19 Trial; PI Prof. S. Deftereos. Protocol co-writer, RCT organization and conduction, data analysis and publication. Effect of colchicine in out-patients suffering from COVID-19. NCT04326790.
- (2018) Snapshot of Hospitalized Patients in Cardiology Departments 2018. A nationwide registry.
- (2016-2017) Medtronic Reveal LINQ Cardiac Monitor Registry. Registry of patients in whom ILR was implanted. NCT02746471.
- (2015-2018) MIRTOS Study – Ticagrelor vs. Clopidogrel in patients with STEMI who have already been treated with thrombolysis. NCT02429271.
Dr. Vrachatis follows regularly as a member and has also participated in the scientific and organizing committee of medical congresses. He has given lectures or participated as a commentator in Greek and International congresses. Has has presented more than 100 research abstracts in international congresses and 90 research abstracts in local congresses.